Spicy Shrimp Fresh Rolls and Peanut Sauce
Last updated: February 18, 2021, at 12:51 p.m. PT
Originally published: February 18, 2021, at 12:33 p.m. PT
You can swap out the fresh veggies and herbs with whatever you have on hand. If you don’t have rice papers, you can roll them in a lettuce wrap instead.
- 8 oz raw large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 lime, zested, juiced, divided
- 4 dried round rice paper wrappers
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, halved, and cut into thin slices
- ½ cucumber cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely shredded romaine lettuce
- Peanut Sauce for dipping
PEANUT SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
PEANUT SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS
- Combine ingredients into a bowl and whisk to fully combine. If you prefer, you can also place the ingredients into a blender and puree well.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with garlic, avocado oil, sriracha, and lime zest. Set aside in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the marinated shrimp. Cook, stirring frequently until shrimp is opaque and just cooked – about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool slightly.
- Once all of your fillings have been prepped, fill a shallow bowl with room temperature water.
- One at a time, dip the rice papers in the water until it just begins to soften.
- Lay one rice paper on a cutting board and lay overlapping slices of avocado on the bottom third of the rice paper (closest to you), leaving room on the sides for rolling.
- Top avocado with cooled shrimp, cucumber, carrot, and romaine. Squeeze with lime juice.
- Working from the end closest to you, tuck the rice paper over the fillings tightly being careful not to tear it. Fold in the sides and continue rolling tightly, placing seam side down.
- Continue with remaining ingredients and serve with peanut sauce.