Recipe: Creamy Asparagus & Watercress Soup
Last updated: March 28, 2021, at 2:47 p.m. PT
Originally published: February 18, 2021, at 12:20 p.m. PT
Be sure to soak your cashews overnight before making the cashew cream in this vibrant and delicious spring soup.
CASHEW CREAM INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups raw cashews
- Cover cashews with water and soak overnight. Drain and discard soaking liquid. Transfer cashews to a blender and just barely cover with fresh water. Blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sweet peas
- 2 cups watercress
- 1 1/2 cups prepared cashew cream
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Ume plum vinegar, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil over medium heat in a stockpot. Add the onion, celery, and asparagus. Saute until tender – about 10 minutes. Add garlic and stir, cooking another minute. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard. Add peas and watercress and cook for 5 minutes until heated through.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree soup until smooth. Stir in cashew cream, salt, pepper, and ume plum vinegar.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls and drizzle with a bit more cashew cream and garnish with parsley.