Recipe: Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Last updated: October 19, 2022, at 11:01 a.m. PT
Originally published: October 19, 2022, at 11:01 a.m. PT
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small, sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups turkey (or veggie) stock
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dried wild rice
- 2 ½ cups chopped leftover turkey
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms and saute until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for one minute.
- Add flour and stir until lightly golden brown.
- Add stock, tamari, bay leaf and wild rice.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in turkey, half and half, thyme, salt and pepper and serve.