Recipe: Pecan & Date Caramel Bars
Last updated: October 19, 2022, at 10:46 a.m. PT
Originally published: October 19, 2022, at 10:43 a.m. PT
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 20 pitted Medjool dates
- 3-4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place almond flour, coconut oil, salt, egg, and vanilla extract in a food processor and pulse until it begins to come together in a ball.
- Use hands to press dough into the baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Leave oven on for later.
- Clean the food processor bowl and add dates and process until broken down evenly.
- With the food processor running, slowly add water until you have a soft and spreadable paste.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans, maple syrup, coconut sugar, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread pecan mixture into a thin layer. Bake for 7-10 minutes – being careful not to let them burn.
- Spread the date caramel over the crust and top with candied pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours to allow to set.
- Cut into 12 bars and serve!