Recipe: Southwest Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Black Bean Skillet
Published: May 11, 2020, at 8:30 a.m. PT
Last updated: May 11, 2020, at 8:48 a.m. PT
This one pot-dish is full of veggies and loaded with flavor! You can opt to make this a vegetarian dish by swapping the chicken out and adding a second can of black beans.
Total Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained /rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large oven proof skillet and add chicken, stirring until browned on all sides.
- Add onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika and pepper flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until onions have softened and add garlic cloves, sweet potatoes, chiles and black beans.
- Pour water into pan, stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring periodically until the sweet potatoes are tender and water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the kale leaves until they begin to wilt.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and place uncovered into the oven.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly - about 8 minutes.
- Serve, topped with avocado and cilantro.