Recipe: Turmeric Chickpea Cakes
Last updated: June 18, 2021, at 12:04 p.m. PT
Originally published: June 18, 2021, at 12:04 p.m. PT
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 6 tablespoons chickpea flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Heat oil over medium heat and saute onions until translucent – about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add chickpeas and the onion mixture to a food processor and pulse until it you have a crumbly paste.
- Add parsley, 4 tablespoons chickpea flour, salt, pepper, garam masala and turmeric. Pulse until combined.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl.
- Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of the chickpea mixture into your hands and roll into a ball. Gently press in the flour to make a patty.
- Heat a bit more oil over medium heat and cook patties for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA