Recipe: Slow Cooker Stock
Last updated: August 9, 2021, at 9:27 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 3, 2021, at 1:45 p.m. PT
- 1-pound bones, chicken, or beef (see TIPS)
- 2 cups celery scraps
- 1 cup carrot scraps
- 1 cup onion scraps
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 herb sprigs of choice (thyme, rosemary, parsley, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker, filling with water until crockpot is full. Allow about an inch of clearance to avoid spillage.
- Cook on low for 12-24 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly and strain solids through a fine mesh sieve and discard.
- Season with salt.
- Store bone broth in the fridge for several days or freeze for later.
Use the bones from a previously enjoyed meal or purchase bones from your butcher. A whole roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken work well. If using beef bones, roast in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes prior to making stock. Store trimmings from herbs, celery, carrots, and onions in your freezer instead of using whole fresh produce.