Recipe: Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew
Last updated: December 22, 2020, at 9:01 a.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 8:56 a.m. PT
This warming soup is a tasty way to warm up during the cold winter months.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 /2 cups brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon each coriander and cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon each smoked paprika, ground cinnamon and
- 1 /8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and bell pepper. Saute until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir for one minute more.
- Add lentils, spices, and broth and bring to a boil-cooking until lentils are tender-about 45min.
- Use an immersion blender to pulse the soup to thicken slightly but leaving texture behind.
- Add spinach to wilt and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.