Recipe: Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew
Last updated: December 22, 2020, at 9:01 a.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 8:56 a.m. PT
This warming soup is a tasty way to warm up during the cold winter months.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 /2 cups brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon each coriander and cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon each smoked paprika, ground cinnamon and
- 1 /8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and bell pepper. Saute until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir for one minute more.
- Add lentils, spices, and broth and bring to a boil-cooking until lentils are tender-about 45min.
- Use an immersion blender to pulse the soup to thicken slightly but leaving texture behind.
- Add spinach to wilt and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA