Recipe: Vegan Tomato Bisque
Last updated: December 22, 2020, at 12:33 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 9:54 a.m. PT
Using canned tomatoes in the winter offers greater flavor than what you can find fresh in the stores.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 /2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic
- 28 oz. BPA free can tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ume plum vinegar to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sautè until softened.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Place tomatoes and their juices into your blender along with the onion mixture, cashews, 1 tablespoon vinegar, tomato paste, basil, water and cayenne. Blend until smooth-adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time until you've reached your desired thickness.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and ume plum vinegar.