Recipe: Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans)
Last updated: January 27, 2022, at 2:10 p.m. PT
Originally published: January 27, 2022, at 2:10 p.m. PT
- 1-pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 8 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ sweet onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, halved, seeded, and sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Discard soaking liquid add beans to a medium pot, and add water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-2 ½ hours or until beans are soft.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt to beans and keep over a low flame.
- In a skillet, heat oil and saute the onions and jalapeno until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more before adding tomatoes, bay leaves, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the remaining teaspoon salt and cook until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to the beans and mix well.
- Cover and increase heat to medium and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. 10. Serve with lime wedges.