Recipe: Creamy Black Eyed Peas and Greens
Last updated: November 22, 2021, at 11:48 a.m. PT
Originally published: November 22, 2021, at 11:38 a.m. PT
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice blend
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight, and drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch chard, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onion, celery, and carrots, cooking until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add Cajun seasoning, black-eyed peas, broth, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 40-60 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, add hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mash about half of the beans to create a creamy consistency.
- Stir in chard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA