Recipe: Caramelized Onion Dip
Last updated: June 18, 2021, at 12:57 p.m. PT
Originally published: June 18, 2021, at 12:47 p.m. PT
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon picked fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup plan fat free Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ salt
- Rustic potato chips and cut veggies for serving
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently until onions caramelize into deep golden-brown color – about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Worcestershire sauce and thyme – allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt with the onion mixture, freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper, to taste.
Yields: 1 ½ cups
- Add a splash of water to the pan while caramelizing the onions if the pan seems dry.
- Flavor is best when allowed to rest in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight before serving.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA