Recipe: Basil Chicken and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Last updated: June 28, 2021, at 9:25 a.m. PT
Originally published: June 18, 2021, at 11:51 a.m. PT
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Avocado spray oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 avocados peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ cup basil leaves, chiffonade
- Cover chicken with parchment paper and lightly pound using a mallet or heavy skillet to an even 1” thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray with avocado oil.
- Cook chicken 4-5 minutes per side or until between 155-160 degrees F. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow the final cooking temperature to reach 165 degrees F.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken and add the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the chicken between four plates and top with the tomato wedges and avocado.
- Sprinkle with basil and season liberally with fresh ground black pepper.