Recipe: Brown Rice Salad with Crispy Halloumi
Last updated: October 30, 2023, at 2:51 p.m. PT
Originally published: October 24, 2023, at 8:50 a.m. PT
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado oil spray
- 8 ounces halloumi, sliced into 8 pieces
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, room temp
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1/3 chopped Italian Parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- In a mason jar, combine lemon, oil, garlic, Dijon, salt, and pepper. Close the lid tightly and shake until emulsified and set aside.
- Spray a skillet with avocado oil, heat over medium-high heat, and add halloumi slices. Cook, undisturbed, for about two minutes per side or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Layer the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and drizzle with dressing. Toss well until evenly coated and serve, topped with halloumi slices.