Recipe: Crispy Garlic Tofu with Purple Slaw
Last updated: October 24, 2023, at 8:52 a.m. PT
Originally published: October 24, 2023, at 8:50 a.m. PT
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- ½ small red cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Avocado oil
- Drain tofu and press by placing it in a dish, covered with a plate or cutting board, and add cans or books to add weight. Set aside for 20-30 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, make your slaw by tossing cabbage, onion, parsley, yogurt, lemon zest, juice, garlic, olive oil, and coriander. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss with sesame seeds. Set aside.
- In one shallow bowl, whisk flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- In a second shallow bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- Put the panko in a third shallow dish.
- Cut tofu into three large rectangular pieces and pat dry.
- Dredge each tofu piece in the flour to coat all sides and then dip in the egg, allow to drip excess, and then dredge in panko crumbs to coat on all sides evenly.
- Pour oil to evenly cover a shallow frying pan and heat over medium heat until oil is about 350 degrees F. Once the oil is hot, cook each piece of tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper while warm and plate topped with coleslaw. Enjoy immediately.