How to Help At-Risk Youth During Covid-19 | Donate Goods & Volunteer
Published: April 8, 2020, at 4:09 p.m. PT
Last updated: April 28, 2020, at 9:18 a.m. PT
As part of our community response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re providing shelter for at-risk youth, child care for first responders, food support for kids, and outreach to seniors. Many people have asked what they can do to help support our work. We’ve provided a list of various items currently needed for at-risk youth below.
The Accelerator YMCA
Accelerator YMCA supports youth, young adults and their families throughout King County through a holistic suite of social services; including housing, behavioral health, foster care and young adult services. The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have uprooted the livelihood of many, but especially those of our participants. Now, more than ever, we are asking for your support to meet the extraordinary needs of our programs and program participants.
Items to Donate for Youth in Housing Programs
A one-month supply of basic household supplies like:
- Trash bags
- Dish soap
- Paper towels
- Non-latex gloves
- Antibacterial cleaning products
- Disinfecting wipes
- Compostable food serving supplies (spoons, knives, forks, bowls, plates, etc.)
A one-month supply of basic hygiene items like:
- Hand and bar soap
- Hand sanitizer
- Laundry detergent
- Feminine hygiene items
- Basic shaving items
- Toilet paper
Food supplies like:
- Rice and pasta
- Pasta sauce
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruits
- Granola or cereal bars
- Packaged dinners
- Gift cards for fresh food purchases
Other household items like:
- Twin-size sheet set
- Twin-size comforters
- Flatware sets
- Dinnerware sets
- Cooking utensil sets
- Kitchen towels
For shelter programs, they could use donations of:
- Underwear, all sizes / genders
- Shirts, all sizes / genders
- Shorts or Sweatpants, all sizes / genders
- Gift cards - food, retail, phone, etc.
- Laundry detergent
- Other various gift cards
- Ride share gift cards (Uber/Lyft)
- Grocery gift cards for fresh food items
- Amazon gift cards
How to Donate Goods for Housing Programs
- For drop off locations and additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Purchase items on our Amazon wish list. All purchased and donated items will route directly to our shelter sites.
- Purchase an e-gift card and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send it to a program participant in need of extra financial support at this time. Suggested stores include: Safeway, Target, Costco, Fred Meyers, etc.
Make or Provide a Meal
Support the youth and young adults living in our shelters and transitional living homes by either cooking or purchasing a meal. If you plan to prepare a meal on your own, please have a valid food worker card (requires a short online course, followed by a quiz and a $10 fee). If this places a financial burden on you and your family, please let us know and we will gladly cover this cost for you.
Make Face Masks at Home
With increasing health measures to ensure our staff and participants are safe onsite in our shelters, we are accepting homemade face masks. Email email@example.com to coordinate a pickup, make a delivery or ship the masks directly to the shelter sites in Auburn.
Want to do even more? Make a donation designated to Accelerator YMCA.