Try the Tech: Learn How to Use Virtual Meeting Platforms
Last updated: August 7, 2020, at 12:31 p.m. PT
Originally published: July 15, 2020, at 2:14 p.m. PT
Let the Y be your guide in helping you learn more about virtual meeting platforms like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Facebook Live. Join us in an open house event to explore all the virtual ways that we are connecting with you. Ask one of our experts your technical questions and learn about upcoming events hosted by the Y.
August 14 | 10:00 - 11:00am
Zoom Meeting Details:
- Meeting ID: 991 6694 5095
- Passcode: 017728
- Dial by your location: +1 253 215 8782 US (Seattle/Tacoma)
Tips for a Great Virtual Experience on Microsoft Teams
- We recommend giving yourself a few extra minutes to get logged on and settled before the class starts.
- You’ll have two options to join the meeting, either via the Microsoft Teams link or by calling in and using a conference id. We recommend using Microsoft Teams so you get the full audio visual interactive experience!
- Once you click on the Microsoft Teams link, you'll be asked to download the Windows app, or if you're on a desktop, you'll also have the option to continue on a browser. If you use a browser, we've had feedback that users struggle to use Microsoft Teams with Safari. You might try Chrome instead.
- Microsoft Teams will ask for permission to use your microphone and camera. We recommend that you click allow for the full audio visual interactive experience.
- Next, you’ll enter your name! Please enter the name of the primary participant(s) so that the instructor can speak directly to them by name.
- During the class, you'll interact with the instructor but there will also be a moderator behind the scenes to help. The moderator will mute you when it's time to listen so that all participants can hear the instructor. But when it's time to interact, the instructor will ask you to unmute yourself and join in!
- You can also post questions, comments, cheers, and more in the chat box. The instructor may not read these until class is over, but the moderator and other participants can respond to you.
Hovering over the screen with your mouse gives you a set of tools!
From left to right, the tools operate as follows:
- Elapsed time of meeting
- Turn your video off and on.
- Mute or unmute yourself
- Share screen (not available in a Y class)
- Additional tools, including the option to enter full screen.
- Raise or lower your hand - Our instructors probably won't see your hand raised, so if you have a question, ask it in the chat area and the moderator will respond.
- Chat - Send a message to the moderator or other participants.
- Participants - See who else has joined our class.
Challenge by Choice
We invite you to keep your video on and interact with the instructor and other participants as much as you are comfortable with. Try the Tech classes give us the opportunity to connect and learn with our Y community, from the safety of home!