Recipe: Vegan Chocolate Mousse Pie
Last updated: July 19, 2021, at 1:36 p.m. PT
Originally published: May 21, 2021, at 11:39 a.m. PT
PIE SHELL INGREDIENTS
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1+ cup pitted dates, packed
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 16 oz silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Place all pie shell ingredients in your food processor and pulse until ingredients start to breakdown and combine.
- Turn on processor and let run until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Test the crust by pinching a small amount. It should stick together and hold its shape. If it seems too dry, add more dates, two at a time until the mixture holds together.
- Press mixture into a pie dish making sure to come up the sides evenly. Set aside. Rinse and wipe out food processor bowl and blade to make sure there are no crumbs remaining. No need to wash right now since you need the food processor for the filling as well.
- Heat chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water until melted.
- Place melted chocolate and remaining ingredients into your food processor and turn on. Blend until smooth and silky, scraping the bowl if necessary, to incorporate all the melted chocolate.
- Pour into prepared pie shell and refrigerate uncovered for 2-4 hours until set.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream or shaved chocolate to garnish.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA