Recipe: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Broccolini
Last updated: June 14, 2021, at 10:12 a.m. PT
Originally published: May 21, 2021, at 11:29 a.m. PT
Making homemade gnocchi is easier than it may seem!
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1(+) cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prick sweet potato all over with a fork. Roast until easily pierced with a fork – 45-60 minutes.
- Once cooled enough to handle, remove skin, and mix sweet potato with ricotta, ¼ cup parmesan, and salt and mash to combine.
- Add ½ cup flour and mix until just combined.
- Add remaining ½ cup flour and mix. Turn onto a floured board and knead until smooth, being careful not to over knead. Add a little more flour if needed until the dough is tacky but not sticking to your hands.
- Working in batches, remove portions of the dough and roll into a long rope about the thickness of your thumb.
- Cut into one-inch segments and repeat with remaining dough.
- Lightly flour gnocchi pieces as needed while you roll and cut the rest.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the gnocchi.
- Boil until they rise to the top of the water.
- Drain and toss gently with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Add broccolini and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bright green.
- Drain and transfer to ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Heat avocado oil over medium high heat and add gnocchi, cooking until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, sage and cook one minute more.
- Season with salt and pepper and add remaining parmesan cheese, tossing to coat.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice and serve.