Recipe: Silken Tofu Miso Soup With Spring Veggies
Last updated: May 24, 2023, at 1:01 p.m. PT
Originally published: May 24, 2023, at 1:01 p.m. PT
- 1 piece kombu seaweed
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 cups bonito flakes
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 8 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 (14 oz) block silken tofu
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Soy sauce or tamari, to taste
- Add the kombu to four cups of cold water in a large pot – allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Add sake and mirin and bring to a boil and then remove from heat, cover and steep for another 15 minutes.
- Stir in bonito flakes and steep for 1 minute before straining broth into a large bowl.
- Discard kombu and bonito flakes and return the broth to the pot.
- Add asparagus, mushrooms, peas and tofu (broken into large pieces) to the broth and bring to a boil for one minute. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the miso paste with a bit of the hot broth until smooth, then return to pot and stir.
- Serve topped with green onions and season with tamari, to taste.