Recipe: Moroccan Chickpeas
Last updated: July 6, 2020, at 6:40 p.m. PT
Originally published: July 6, 2020, at 6:30 p.m. PT
Looking for an easy, delicious, and protein-packed snack? Look no further. This Moroccan Chickpea recipe will have the whole family coming back for more! Make it a balanced meal by serving it with whole wheat couscous, chopped cucumbers, and plain Greek yogurt.
Total Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 (14 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14 oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion and saute until translucent (about 7 minutes).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne. Cook for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and the tomatoes along with their juices.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until tomatoes have cooked down and mixture has thickened.
- Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with fresh mint and parsley.