Recipe: Lemongrass Tofu Banh Mi
Last updated: November 22, 2021, at 10:46 a.m. PT
Originally published: November 22, 2021, at 10:41 a.m. PT
- 16 ounces firm tofu, drained, pressed and sliced into planks
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white and pale green parts finely minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 4 (8”) baguettes
- ¼ cup good quality mayonnaise (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into thin planks
- 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- Quick Pickled Veggies (recipe below)
- Lay tofu slices in a baking dish.
- Mix tamari, fish sauce, honey, chili garlic sauce, lemongrass, garlic powder and ginger powder in a small bowl.
- Pour over tofu slices and turn to coat. Marinate for at least one hour, turning halfway.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove tofu slices from marinade and spread out on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, turning halfway.
- Slice baguettes in half and spread with mayonnaise, if using, and cilantro leaves.
- Divide tofu slices among baguettes and layer cucumber, jalapeno, and pickled veggies on top.
Tip: Try the Quick Pickled Veggies as a side dish!
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA