Recipe: Creamy Roasted Leeks and Cannellini Beans
Last updated: July 25, 2023, at 10:55 a.m. PT
Originally published: July 25, 2023, at 10:55 a.m. PT
- 4 large leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Flaky sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Crusty bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the dark green parts from the leeks and roast the white/light green leeks until charred on the outside and very tender inside– about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and turn oven to broil.
- Slice the leeks in half lengthwise and scoop out the tender flesh, chop well, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in an oven proof skillet and add flour and garlic, stirring for a few minutes to bloom the flour.
- Very slowly, whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Slowly add wine or broth and rosemary sprigs and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened – about 5 minutes.
- Remove rosemary and add nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, reserved leeks, cannellini beans, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Broil until golden brown and serve with crusty bread.