At Camp: What to Expect
Last updated: June 4, 2020, at 10:05 a.m. PT
Originally published: June 1, 2020, at 7:44 p.m. PT
First and foremost, thank you for choosing to spend your summer with the Y!
In the last few months, we've been consulting with state and local health officials to ensure that our day campers and counselors will have a fun, safe experience this summer with the Y. Please read the following information to learn more about what we're doing to maintain a healthy environment and what you can do before you bring your child to Y Day Camp Classic.
These protocols may change based on recommendations from the American Camp Association, YMCA of the USA, and those of our local, state, and federal government agencies.
- Children will be placed in circles according to age or grade, not to exceed 10 people including their Y counselor.
- Campers will remain in their circles with their counselor and rotate to activities.
- Campers will be given opportunities for choice and exploration rotations within their small circles.
All camp activities will be fun and engaging, but modified to respect physical distancing guidelines.
- No equipment will be passed from person to person and there will be no all-camp group activities.
- While campers will remain with circles, activities will be more individually focused including exploration rotations, physical activity and small group games, arts & crafts, and more.
- Campers will be outdoors or in open, well-ventilated areas.
- Our daily assemblies and lunchtimes will be modified to respect physical distancing.
- Unfortunately, due to state and local directives, we will not offer field trips. At this time, we are unable to use climbing structures or rope courses.
Maintaining a Healthy Environment Each Day
- Campers will wash hands upon arriving at camp, before and after lunch, before and after going outside, and at other times during the day. Hand sanitizer will be used to supplement hand washing, as needed.
- We will frequently disinfect high-touch, high-traffic areas and provide a daily, overnight enhanced cleaning.
- Activity areas will be cleaned in between groups.