Before Camp: Know Before You Go
Published: June 1, 2020, at 7:45 p.m. PT
Last updated: June 2, 2020, at 3:36 p.m. PT
First and foremost, thank you for choosing to spend your summer with the Y!
In the last few months, we've been consulting with state and local health officials to ensure that our day campers and counselors will have a fun, safe experience this summer with the Y. Please read the following information to learn more about what we're doing to maintain a healthy environment and what you can do before you bring your child to Y Day Camp Classic.
These protocols may change based on recommendations from the American Camp Association, YMCA of the USA, and those of our local, state, and federal government agencies.
- Y Day Camp Classic hours are 7:30 am - 5:30 pm.
- Drop-off and pick-up will be outside. Look for signs to direct you to the right place.
- Y staff will greet you outside when you arrive and when you come to pick up your child.
- We ask that parents do not to enter the building or program space.
- Children will be placed in circles according to age or grade, not to exceed to exceed 10 people including their Y counselor. Children will remain in this small circle with their Y counselor rotating to different activities.
- Our Education and Curriculum Director, along with our youth development team, has planned fun camp activities to engage brains, exploration rotations to encourage kids to try new things, and plenty of physical activity and games to keep bodies active.
- Campers will have the opportunity to develop friendships and interact with others while following physical distancing and safety protocols, and will stay in small, close-knit circles.
What to Bring
Please pack all items in a backpack.
- An extra pair of clothing (recommended, but not always needed)
- A swimsuit and towel for water play activities
- A refillable water bottle
- A book to read during literacy time
What to Wear
- Comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing for gym games and outside time
- Closed-toe shoes
Safety & Health Screening Measures
- We will take temperature of all Y Day Camp Classic counselors each day.
- We will take the temperatures of campers prior to entry each day.
- Y Day Camp Classic counselors are required to wear masks while inside, and while outside, if physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- We will not require campers to wear masks, but we will provide a fun buff (neck and face covering) that will be provided to campers each day and laundered daily.
- We will require all Y staff and campers to meet the King County Public Healthy screening criteria.