Orkila’s Frequently Asked Summer Registration Questions:
What are the three price tiers? What do they mean? How do I choose?
We recognize that families have different abilities to pay and have developed this voluntary three-tier fee structure to best meet everyone’s needs. Simply select the rate appropriate for your family’s budget. This is completely confidential and does not impact your child’s camp experience in any way.
- Tier III reflects the full cost of sending a camper to the program selected. If you are able to pay this amount, please do. Thank you.
- Tier II is a partially-subsidized rate to help families who can't afford the full cost of the camp program. Choose this rate if your family needs a partial subsidy
- Tier I represents a substantial subsidy for families who need assistance to send a child to camp. Choose this rate if your family needs it.
If Tier I presents a barrier, Financial Assistance is available through an application process, which requires income documentation. Financial Assistance is made possible thanks to the generosity of YMCA donors.
What are your payment and refund policies?
- A non-refundable deposit of $100 per session per child must accompany the registration form ($50 if applying for Financial Assistance or registering before January 1st). Payment options include Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express and personal check made out to YMCA Camping & Outdoor Leadership.
- Payment in full is due on or by June 1st.
- If your camper is unable to attend, please notify our office immediately. To receive a refund, you must notify us by June 1. According to how you originally paid, a check or credit card refund will be issued, less the non-refundable deposit. Please allow 2 weeks for processing refunds.
- Any cancellations or refund requests received after June 1 will be at the discretion of the YMCA.
What is the transportation fee?
Campers may be checked-in and picked-up at three different locations: Meridian Park Elementary in Shoreline, the Anacortes Ferry Terminal, or Camp Orkila on Orcas Island.
- Bus from Meridian Park: Charter buses supervised by camp staff and volunteers will transport campers between Meridian Park Elementary and Camp Orkila. If you choose this option, there is a $60 transportation fee* ($30 each way). If your camper is attending non-consecutive sessions, you’ll need to pay a transportation fee for each session for which they will be taking the bus.
- Anacortes Ferry: Campers checked-in at the Anacortes Ferry Terminal will walk onto the ferry with Orkila staff and be met by the Orkila bus upon arrival on Orcas. There is a $15 transportation fee* for campers who check-in and walk on to the ferry at Anacortes. Campers departing Orkila at the end of the session will ride the camp bus to the Orcas Ferry Terminal and they’ll walk onto the ferry again as a group. There is no fee associated with this return option.
- Camp Orkila: Campers may be checked in and picked up at Orkila on Orcas Island. There is no transportation fee associated with this option from our office, however if you walk or drive on to the ferry, tickets are required. More information is available at www.wsdot.gov/ferries.
*You may pay the transportation fee upon registration or add it later as needed. Note: If your camper will be arriving/departing camp by a method other those listed above (i.e. by boat, plane, etc.), please contact our office to discuss details: email@example.com.
What is store money?
At Camp, there is a “Camp Store,” which has Orkila gear (such as t-shirts and sweatshirts), souvenirs and miscellaneous items. All store purchases are made through your camper’s prepaid store account. We suggest $25-50 depending on the session length. You may add store money upon registration or with a later payment.
Your camper’s unspent store money can either be refunded to your account, or be donated to our campership fund, which helps send kids to camp. A detailed report of your camper’s store expenses can be found on your account, or you can request a hard copy sent to you. Please contact the YMCA Camping & Outdoor Leadership Office with any questions: 206 382 5009 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How do you handle friend requests?
Making new friends is a big part of the camp experience. To ensure that our groupings are welcoming to all, we are only able to honor TWO friend requests. Requests must be mutual, campers must be registered for the SAME PROGRAM and received at least three weeks before the start of the session.