YMCA of Greater Seattle Facility Improvement Week
Last updated: August 23, 2022, at 6:44 a.m. PT
Originally published: May 10, 2018, at 3:03 p.m. PT
Once a year, we may close a local Y for Facility Improvement Week, a week full of projects like deep cleaning, painting, making repairs, and adding furniture.
Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA
The Y will experience partial closures, with a period of full closure to improve the gym, fitness room, and more from Sunday, August 28 to Wednesday, September 7. Full branch operations will resume on Thursday, September 8.
- Sunday, August 28 through Thursday, September 1: Facility is open with Gym closed.
- Friday, September 2 through Tuesday, September 6: Full Facility is closed.
- Wednesday, September 7: Facility is open with Gym and Fitness Classroom closed.
- Thursday, September 8: Full Facility is open.
New fitness equipment
Peloton bikes will be available to improve your independent cycling experience.
We are improving your experience in the gym by refinishing the floor, painting the walls, and enhancing the lighting.
We enjoy seeing all our kids in the Kids Club having fun every day and are adding a fresh coat of paint to brighten the room for our youngest members.
Additional fitness equipment will arrive in October and November:
- We are improving your strength training experience by replacing all strength equipment, including free weight equipment and selectorized strength equipment. We’re also adding new pieces of equipment to level up your routine:
- Biceps Curl
- Back Extension
- Diverging Low Row
- Abdominal Crunch
- Incline Press
- Members will also find a new rowing machine as part of our equipment upgrade.
University Family YMCA
Closed Sunday, July 3 - Sunday, July 10. Reopens on Monday, July 11.
What's going on when the University Y is closed? We'll be hard at work on:
Increasing accessibility to fitness equipment
We are moving fitness equipment from the lower level to the main floor to provide more accessibility for all abilities.
Refreshing group exercise rooms
We are transforming the basement space into a multipurpose area for group exercise classes and future programs like personal training, Total Body Resistance Exercise (TRX), and youth programs. We will hold more cycling, high intensity interval training (HIIT), and strength and conditioning classes.
We are installing new flooring in the Pocock Room that is responsive to high impact and low impact group exercise classes, as well as adding a fresh coat of paint. Our goal is to expand active older adult, yoga, and dance format classes.
Members will see fresh paint in the lobby, hallways, and all gender bathrooms.
Alternative Locations & Workouts
Your YMCA of Greater Seattle membership grants you unlimited access to all 14 local Ys, including 11 aquatics centers. Browse nearby locations, or find a live or on-demand workout you can do in the Virtual Y.