Weekly Member News: Latest Updates for Y Members
Last updated: August 30, 2021, at 2:23 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 7, 2020, at 1:35 p.m. PT
Top Stories: Back to School Ready
Where did August go? In this week's member news, let's welcome September by getting back to school ready with these tips and resources.
START THE SCHOOL YEAR RIGHT: The start of a new school year may bring big feelings of excitement and nervousness. Try these tips for starting the new year right or these prompts for reflecting as a family on the transition from summer to fall.
12 CHILDREN'S BOOKS ABOUT RACE: As your little ones return to school, consider engaging them in conversations about race. Use our list of books featuring diverse characters and introducing ideas about justice to help you start the conversation.
Upcoming Events & Activities
Is your membership on hold? Turn on your member benefits using our brief form. Learn more >
Tuesday, August 31
- Community Café - Meaningful Communication 103: Review the four components of compassionate communication and learn how to shape your response toward different attitudes encountered in a community setting. Register >
Wednesday, September 1
- Cooking Class - Lightened Up Comfort Classics: Take your favorite comfort foods, like Baked Mac and Cheese or Loaded Veggie Tacos, and give them with a healthy twist that will not disappoint. Reserve a spot >
Tuesday, September 7
- Minis Preschool Sports & Enrichment Classes: Fall is a wonderful time for your preschooler to try something new with the Y. From ballet to basketball and art to futsal (indoor soccer), there’s something for every kid! Register >
Thursday, September 2
- Free Weight-Loss Program: The Y's Lose to Win program helps you achieve your desired long-term weight management goals by providing accountability, planning, and problem-solving tools while also receiving group and coach support. Register >
Tuesday, September 21
- Most Local Ys Open Seven Days a Week: Beginning September 26, most local Ys will be open from 5:00 am–8:00 pm on weekdays and 8:00 am-3:00 pm on weekends. Downtown Seattle, University Family, and Fauntleroy have unique hours. Learn more >
Wednesday, September 29
- A.K. Guy Award Ceremony: Join us to celebrate volunteerism and recognize Connie Ballmer and Ballmer Group for outstanding dedication to supporting children and families by removing barriers and creating opportunities. Learn More >
New On-Demand Classes
Login today using your email address to enjoy this and all 25 new on-demand videos!
Trainer Tips with Trista: Lunges (4 min): Use this short video to perfect the proper technique for the lunge.
AOA Balance with Clare (12 min): This class enhances coordination, strength, and balance. Utilizing seated and standing chair work, it’s designed for everyone to work at their own level and ability. Go to class >
Latin Dance Breakdown with Kristin (13 min): This class breaks down the basic salsa dance moves to set you up for success in your Latin dance class. Go to class >
Resources for Members
Welcome Back Guide: First visit back? Find all of the important details, including safety information, in our Welcome Back Guide >
See What's Happening for Kids, Teens, & Families: From birth to graduation, the Y is here to support kids, teens, and families as they learn, grow, and thrive! See our full line-up of virtual and in-person enrichment and education activities, updated weekly. See blog post >
See What's Happening for Active Older Adults: Active Older Adults (AOA) at the YMCA of Greater Seattle build relationships and create a network of friends who provide support for overall health and well-being. Learn how to get involved with this community, online and in-person. See blog post >
Member Support: Have a question about your membership or your online account? Start here for help >