Specialty Camps Bring Experiences to your Neighborhood
Last updated: March 6, 2020, at 11:03 a.m. PT
Originally published: March 6, 2020, at 9:10 a.m. PT
Summer is all about expanding horizons. At the Y, we’re bringing new experiences to your neighborhood. The wide range of the Y’s specialty camps are all about igniting campers’ curiosity and drive to explore the world around them. From science and inventing, to baking and close-up magic, we have a camp to inspire every kid.
Why Choose a Specialty Camp
Summer is a great time to learn and grow, but for many families, the high price tag of many specialized enrichment camps and long commutes make it impossible for many families.
"Summer is often a time when children lose ground academically and socially," said Matthew Boulay, interim chief executive for the Baltimore-based National School Learning Association. "Summer is the most unequal time in America," he said.
The Y is here to make summer an exciting time to explore socially and intellectually by ensuring that all kids go back to school ready to learn and in the place to succeed.
Types of Camps
- Specialty Camp - Spark a new interest with uniquely exciting learning experiences close to home with partners like Play-Well TEK-nologies, Mad Science, Ropeworks, and Sail Sand Point!
- Outdoor Specialty Camp - Ready for a challenge? We’ve combined some favorite camp activities like archery, rock climbing, and cooking, into fun, week-long, learning adventures. If you ready for more, try out our special two-week outdoor survival camp!
- Flying Horseshoe Ranch Camp Grab the reins and get away from city life with a dream horse trip to Eastern Washington!
- Climbing Camp - From the climbing tower at your Y to local bouldering and indoor climbing gyms, tackle new adventures every day. Climbing Camp is a great way to gain climbing skills and confidence in just a week.
- Swim & Sports Camp - Learn to swim and try new sports! Get in the pool every day, develop skills, and practice techniques in this action-packed week.
- Teen Outdoor Specialty Camp - Explore the Pacific Northwest through mountain biking, rock climbing, or kayaking as you make new friends and develop your leadership skills.
- Junior Lifeguard Camp - Gain the confidence and knowledge to volunteer as a YMCA Junior Lifeguard, and then apply for your first job with the Y once you’re 16 years old! This program grades combines education with recreation; learn both the technical skills of lifeguarding and the interpersonal skills to work with members and guests.
- Lead Camp - Take the leap between camper and camp leader with this leadership training course for highschoolers.
Find your camp! Follow this link and scroll through our complete list of offerings. There's a camp for every kid, right in your neighborhood.