Seattle Y’S Global Engagement Boxes
Last updated: September 23, 2021, at 11:14 a.m. PT
Originally published: September 7, 2021, at 6:58 a.m. PT
For more than 175 years, YMCAs have nurtured the power and potential of young people to lead change in their own communities and beyond. In 120 countries across the globe, YMCAs work to provide youth – from childhood to young adulthood – with the support they need to become changemakers who create a better future for all.
As part of our Global to local learning initiatives, we present the Seattle Y’s Global Engagement Boxes to our communities. These boxes are filled with family fun activities to explore, learn, and celebrate together the rich history, culture, life, people, and traditions of our diverse communities both locally and abroad.
As we approach Latinx Heritage Month in October, we have two engagement box options, each focusing on one of the Y’s international partner countries: Mexico and Nicaragua. Both boxes include a week of engagement activities (including supplies) that gives families an opportunity to explore the racial and ethnic dimensions, expansive indigenous history, as well as many other themes of Mexican and Nicaraguan life. The box features activities geared toward elementary-aged children and their families, that include arts and crafts, cooking, literacy, and games.
Boxes will be mailed to home to families the week before programming begins.
Fees per box: $45 Facility Members | $60 Community Members
- Viva Mexico! – Sent to participating homes the week of October 4, 2021
- Nicaragua Nicaragüita – Sent to participating homes the week of October 11, 2021.
Each box includes all materials and supplies for the following in both English and Spanish:
- Two arts & crafts activities with lesson plans and supplies that explore the unique culture of the associated country
- One cooking card recipe inspired by the associated country
- One book specific to the country or written by a Hispanic/Latinx author including family discussion guide
- One game to play as a family that is popular in the associated country
- Opportunity to virtually meet international YMCA staff at the Nicaragua Y and International Partner Y information
Impact & Value
The Global Engagement boxes were created by the Equity & Justice and Youth Development Centers of Excellence in collaboration with the Latinx Employee Resource Group, with support provided by the YMCA of the USA-International Group and our international partners, the Nicaragua Y and Mexico Y.
The goal of our Global Engagement Boxes is to:
- Prepare the Next Generation of Global Citizens: Develops skills for children to connect with people from all walks of life through global learning experiences.
- Promote Inclusion: Engage Hispanic/Latinx communities both locally and abroad. Encourage Non-Hispanic/Latinx families to participate in discussion and activities together and encourages global to local learning.
- Mobilize Resources: Leverages resources from existing and new globally minded supporters, fostering multicultural philanthropy efforts.
- Support World Service: YMCA of the USA’s World Service Campaign raises critical resources to strengthen their capacity to reach more children, teens, and young adults in need.
Affordable for All: The Y is committed to ensuring all families have access to quality and enriching youth programs. We provide financial assistance and a sliding fee schedule. Please fill out this quick form to learn more about scholarships or financial assistance available for Global Engagement Boxes.