Recipes: Staples from Scratch
Last updated: October 12, 2020, at 3:06 p.m. PT
Originally published: October 12, 2020, at 3:06 p.m. PT
Save time and money by creating some cooking staples on your own. Have the whole family join in to add to the fun!
- 1 cup fresh basil, leaves only
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and cheese in your food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the feeder tube of the food processor until emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Prepared pesto will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
SLOW COOKER BONE BROTH
- 1 pound bones, chicken or beef (see TIPS)
- 2 cups celery trimmings
- 1 cup carrot trimmings
- 1 cup onion trimmings
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 fresh herb sprigs of choice (thyme, rosemary, parsley, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker, filling with water until crock pot is full. Allow about an inch of clearance to avoid spillage.
- Cook on low for 12-24 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly and strain solids through a fine-mesh sieve and discard.
- Season with salt.
- Store bone broth in the fridge for several days or freeze for later.
- Use the bones from a previously enjoyed meal or purchase bones from your butcher. A whole roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken works well. If using beef bones, roast in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes prior to making stock.
- Store trimmings from celery, carrots, and onions in your freezer instead of using whole fresh produce.
CHIPOTLE HOT SAUCE
- 6-8 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ¼ sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ orange, juiced
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- Add all ingredients into your blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass bottle and store in the refrigerator.
Hot sauce will last in the fridge for up to a month.
BUTTERMILK RANCH (MAYO-FREE)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup whole milk, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup vinegar (balsamic, red wine, apple cider, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or real maple syrup (optional)
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- Optional Add-ins: minced shallot, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon dried herbs (basil, oregano, etc.), minced fresh herbs (rosemary, parsley, etc.), 1 teaspoon
CREAMY HONEY DIJON
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Whisk all dressing ingredients together until incorporated.