Recipe: Vegetable Barley Soup
Last updated: March 28, 2021, at 2:52 p.m. PT
Originally published: February 18, 2021, at 10:26 a.m. PT
Using an instant pot makes this come together in a flash but can also be easily prepared on the stovetop.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped Italian Parsley
- Turn instant pot on sauté mode. Add oil, onions, carrots, bell pepper, and cook until softened – 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add barley, chickpeas, thyme, salt, pepper, stock, and water and stir to mix.
- Cover with an instant pot lid and cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Carefully, quickly release the pressure manually and remove the lid.
- Season with lemon juice and add salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with parsley.
Follow the directions above, using a stockpot on your stove for steps one and two. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes or until barley is tender.