Recipe: Tomato Lentil Soup with Olives and Cashew Cream
Last updated: September 18, 2023, at 3:43 p.m. PT
Originally published: September 15, 2023, at 10:19 a.m. PT
Tomato Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed/sorted
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped green olives
- ½ cup cashew cream (or heavy cream)
- Rustic bread for serving
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and bay leaves.
- Add the lentils, stock, and tomatoes, then bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until lentils are tender – about 30 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until just wilted, and then add olives and cream, stirring well.
- Serve with bread for dipping.
All-Purpose Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- In a heat-proof bowl, cover cashews with boiling water to cover by 1-2” and soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain and add cashews and 1 cup fresh water to a blender and puree until smooth.