Last updated: August 25, 2022, at 10:11 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 25, 2022, at 8:31 a.m. PT
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2“ strips
- 1 small, sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- Pico de Gallo Slaw (recipe follows)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cotija
- Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the tortilla strips and fry until crispy, stirring regularly, about 5 minutes. Set crispy tortilla strips aside onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the same pan. Sauté until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Beat the eggs with the chili powder and salt. If you need to, add a bit more oil at this point to avoid the eggs sticking to the pan. Once the extra bit of oil has heated, add the eggs to the pan.
- Stir frequently while the eggs cook. When the eggs are halfway cooked (still glistening, but less wet) add in the jack cheese and tortilla strips. Cook until eggs are fully cooked then remove the pan from the heat.
- Garnish with Pico de Gallo slaw, avocado slices, cilantro and cotija cheese.
TIP: Enjoy with Pico de Gallo Slaw