Recipe: Market Salad with Poached Chicken
Last updated: May 26, 2022, at 3:26 p.m. PT
Originally published: May 26, 2022, at 1:06 p.m. PT
POACHED CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 small bunch fresh tarragon
- 2 large chicken breast halves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon leaves
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
This salad is meant to be a template you can follow no matter what happens to be available at your farmers market. Mix and match and pick whatever looks best!
- Greens: 1 medium head leafy, baby arugula, endive, watercress, etc.
- Tomatoes: 2 heirloom, 1 pint cherry, etc.
- Radishes: 6 medium
- Crunchy: 1 cup sliced fennel bulb, snap peas, celery, asparagus
- Herbs: ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, parsley, tarragon, etc.
- Creamy: Avocado, Cheese
- Combine four cups of water, salt, peppercorns, tarragon, and chicken in a large saucepan and gently bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once gently boiling, flip the chicken over, cover with a tight-fitting lid and remove from heat.
- Allow to cook until chicken reaches 150 degrees F at its thickest part – about 5-10 minutes, remove from liquid and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk dressing ingredients together in small bowl and set aside.
- Chop or slice your farmers market selections as desired and assemble on a platter with your poached chicken and drizzle with dressing.