Recipe: Cilbir (Turkish Eggs)
Last updated: May 26, 2022, at 2:55 p.m. PT
Originally published: May 26, 2022, at 2:55 p.m. PT
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a medium bowl, stir together yogurt, most of the fresh herbs (reserve a bit for garnish) and the garlic. Season, to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring a pot of water to simmer over medium-low heat.
- One at a time, crack eggs over a fine mesh sieve to strain the loose egg whites.
- Add vinegar to hot water and stir water to create a vortex.
- Gently transfer strained egg to the center of the vortex and cook for about 3 minutes or until whites have set and yolks are still runny.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove egg and place on paper towel lined plate to drain and repeat with the second egg.
- In a small skillet, warm the olive oil over medium low heat and add crushed red pepper and smoked paprika.
- Spread yogurt on two plates and top with one egg each.
- Drizzle spiced oil over the top and season with reserved herbs and a bit more salt and pepper.