Membership Cancellation and Refund Policies
The YMCA of Greater Seattle does not impose contracts on our members, and members are free to cancel their membership at any time. Written notice is required to cancel a membership. Members must submit cancellation request in writing via web form prior to their next draft date.
- Most memberships are prepaid and are month to month. Memberships in good standing automatically renew at the end of the 30-day membership cycle.
- There are memberships that are affiliated with a Y program (example: Diabetes Prevention) or initiative which includes prepaid or complimentary membership for a set period (example: 3 months). These membership types do not renew at the end of the membership cycle.
- The membership cycle begins the day the member joins and auto renews every 30 days provided the member is in good standing and does not owe a balance.
- Members can prepay for annual, 6-month or 3-month membership cycles. These membership default to renew every 30 days at the end of the prepaid cycles provided the member is in good standing and does not owe a balance.
Member initiated cancellations
- Members who wish to cancel within 30 days of joining must do so in writing. Members are subject to a full refund. Refunds will be issued back to the original payment method.
- Members who wish to cancel their membership after 30 days must do so in writing . The cancellation will be processed prior to their next draft and the membership will remain active through what the member has paid. We do not prorate remaining monthly membership value.
- The exception to prorated value is for prepayment for annual, 6-month or 3-month memberships. In this situation, fees paid for the months beyond the current 30-day cycle may be prorated.
- Members must have an active membership through the end of any registered programs to receive facility member pricing.
YMCA initiated cancellations or temporary facility closures
- When Y staff terminate a membership that is expected to automatically renew for reasons such as member behavior, staff error, or another circumstance, refunds are issued back to the original payment method. If the original payment method is no longer active or was in the form of a check, cash or ECT payment, the refund will be processed as a check to be mailed to the member’s address in the system.
- When the Y closes a branch temporarily due to weather, emergency, facility improvement or community related concerns, no credits will be issued for any closure that is 7 consecutive days or less.
- For closures greater than 7 consecutive days, the Y will issue a prorated membership credit for each week beyond 7 days that the facility is closed. Credits will be applied to the member’s next monthly draft.
Effective: July 10, 2020.