Recipe: Vegan Corned "Beef" and Cabbage
Last updated: February 15, 2023, at 2:41 p.m. PT
Originally published: February 15, 2023, at 2:41 p.m. PT
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice mix
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans green jackfruit in water/brine, drained and rinsed well
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery to cook to soften – about 5 minutes before adding broth and bringing to a boil.
- Combine pickling spices and peppercorns in a metal tea steeper or secure in a cheesecloth and add to the pot.
- Add mustard seeds, onion powder, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, bay leaves and jackfruit and boil for 30 minutes.
- Add cabbage and potatoes, return to a boil and cook until tender – about 15 minutes more.
- Remove tea ball, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve topped with chopped parsley.