Recipe: Mushroom & Herb Barley Pilaf
Last updated: December 22, 2020, at 12:29 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 11:56 a.m. PT
This dish can be served warm or at room temperature. If you use pearled barley, you can cut the cooking time to 20-30 minutes.
- 1 cup hulled barley
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 shallots, sliced into rings
- 12 ounces mushrooms (shiitake, maitake and/or chanterelle), cut into large pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked and stems discarded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook barley in a pot of boiling, salted water for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Drain excess water and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and add shallots, cooking until softened. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add thyme, garlic and butter and toss for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Pour mushroom mixture over barley and toss. Add cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.