Recipe: Mushroom & Herb Barley Pilaf
Last updated: December 22, 2020, at 12:29 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 11:56 a.m. PT
This dish can be served warm or at room temperature. If you use pearled barley, you can cut the cooking time to 20-30 minutes.
- 1 cup hulled barley
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 shallots, sliced into rings
- 12 ounces mushrooms (shiitake, maitake and/or chanterelle), cut into large pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked and stems discarded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook barley in a pot of boiling, salted water for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Drain excess water and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and add shallots, cooking until softened. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add thyme, garlic and butter and toss for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Pour mushroom mixture over barley and toss. Add cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA