Recipe: Lentil Shepherd's Pie
Last updated: December 8, 2022, at 2:43 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 8, 2022, at 2:13 p.m. PT
- 2 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes into 6-8 even pieces and place in a pot of water with ½ teaspoon salt and covered with water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pan to steam for a few minutes.
- Add milk, butter and nutmeg, and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in an oven proof skillet and add onions, carrots and mushrooms. Saute until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes and add garlic.
- Stir for one minute and add rosemary, lentils, and corn starch, stirring until well combined.
- Add tamari and tomatoes, and stock and bring to a boil until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the lentil mixture and use a fork to create nooks and crannies.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top if desired and transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly – broiling for the last few minutes if you prefer crispy edges.