Recipe: Grilled Portobello Burgers
Last updated: August 9, 2021, at 9:24 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 5, 2021, at 12:32 p.m. PT
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon steak seasoning blend (recipe below)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 red onion, cut into thick slices
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Whisk together the vinegar, tamari, oil, oregano, and steak seasoning in a shallow dish.
- Add the mushrooms to the marinade and spoon or brush the marinade evenly over both sides of the mushroom caps.
- Set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to an hour.
- Heat your grill to medium heat and brush grill grates with avocado oil.
- Grill the mushrooms and onion slices for about 5 minutes on each side, brushing with the reserved marinade.
- During the last minute of grilling, top the mushrooms with cheese and toast the buns.
- Top the bun with the grilled mushroom and onions and top with tomato, lettuce, avocado, and any other toppings you’d like.
STEAK SEASONING BLEND
Combine 2 tablespoons salt, 1 ½ tablespoons each: black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, AND 1 tablespoon each: ground coriander, dried parsley AND 1 ½ teaspoons each: smoked paprika, dried mustard and red pepper flakes. Store in an airtight container.