Recipe: French Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts
Last updated: May 13, 2021, at 7:11 a.m. PT
Originally published: May 3, 2021, at 3:34 p.m. PT
Goat cheese has half the saturated fat of cow’s milk cheese and one serving of this salad dishes up almost 26 grams of protein!
- 1 ½ cups French lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add lentils, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the carrot, onion and celery to the pot and cook for another 5-15 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy.
- While lentils are cooking, whisk together the vinegar, salt, mustard, olive oil, shallot and parsley together in a serving bowl.
- Drain lentils when they are done and remove and discard the smashed garlic, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add warm lentils to the dressing and toss to coat and cool to room temperature.
- Add walnuts, goat cheese and lots of pepper to the lentils and toss to incorporate. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve cold or at room temperature.