Recipe: Falafel Bowls with Tahini Sauce & Quick Pickled Onions
Published: September 9, 2020, at 1:07 p.m. PT
Last updated: September 9, 2020, at 1:12 p.m. PT
These crispy baked falafel are delicious served with pita bread, on a salad or as a tasty snack.
Yields: 4 servings
Total Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 cup dry chickpeas, rinsed and soaked
- overnight, drained and rinsed again
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, stems removed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- Pour avocado oil into a rimmed baking sheet and tilt to cover the bottom evenly with oil.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Shape about 2 tablespoons into small patties about 1/2 inch thick and place on oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- Serve on a bed of romaine, topped with olives, feta cheese, cucumber, and tomato slices.
- Top with quick pickled onions and drizzle with tahini sauce (recipes below).
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- In a heatproof glass jar, mix hot water, honey, and salt and stir until dissolved.
- Add vinegar, red pepper flakes, and peppercorns.
- Pack onions into jar until submerged.
- Top with a bit of water if needed.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes until the onions have turned bright pink.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley, stems removed
- Mince your garlic and sprinkle with salt. Use the flat side of your knife to press and scrape the garlic and salt into a paste.
- Add garlic paste, tahini and lemon juice to your food processor and blend.
- Slowly add water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in parsley.