Kent YMCA Grand Opening September 14!
Last updated: September 24, 2019, at 9:56 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 9, 2019, at 1:40 p.m. PT
After more than 10 years of planning, community rallying, fundraising, and construction, we’re proud to announce the grand opening of the new Kent YMCA! Join us on Saturday, September 14 when we will cut the ribbon on the new 50,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility at 10:00 am, followed by a community celebration and open house through 4:00 pm.
“I believe the partnership between the YMCA, City of Kent, and the Kent School District will benefit the residents of Kent where we’ll have complimentary programs and services that address community needs.” said Kent Branch Executive, Kelly Guy. “We have a great team at the Kent branch, and I hope you come out to meet them and to experience this wonderful facility.”
Kent YMCA Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting
Saturday, September 14, 2019 from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Address: 10828 SE 248th ST, Kent, WA 98030
Here’s a detailed agenda of the FREE activities that will be offered at the grand opening:
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony & Opening Remarks, 10:00 am to 10:30 am
Opening Day Activities Schedule, 10:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Building Tours by YMCA Staff
- Membership Assistance & Charter Member Registration
- Family Carnival and Bounce House in Gym Court 1
- Family Play Time and Arts & Crafts in the Kids Zone
- Open Fitness Center with Cardio and Strength Training Machines and Free Weights Available
- Open Walking Track on Second Floor
- “Taste of Kent” & Community Partner Fair, 10:30 am to 4:00 pm (Gym Court 2)
- Free Food Samples by Local Restaurants: Altha’s (African American), Thai Chili (Taiwanese), and Taqueria El Rinconsito (Mexican)
- Living Well Kent Mini Farmer’s Market
- Open Doors for Multicultural Families
- Glover Empowerment Mentoring
- Northwest Blood Bank
- I Day Dream
- Kent Black Action Committee
- Community Performances
- Blazer Bee Chorus from East Hill Elementary School, 10:30 am (Kent Y Entrance)
- Grupo Folklorico Citiali, 1:00 pm to 1:15 pm (Gym Court 2)
- Rainier Youth Choir, 3:00 to 3:15 pm (Gym Court 2)
- Group Exercise Classes
- Zumba, 11:30 am to 12:30 pm (Studio 1)
- Bootcamp, 12:45 pm to 1:30 pm (Studio 1)
- Barre, 1:00 pm to 1:45 pm (Studio 2)
- Hip Hop Cycle, 1:45 pm to 2:30 pm (Cycling Studio)
- Cardio Kickboxing, 2:00 pm to 2:45 pm (Studio 1)
- Yoga, 3:00 pm to 3:45 pm (Studio 2)
Please join the greater Kent community in celebrating the open doors of the new Kent Y – a place where all people belong. Where kids find fun and purpose, adults find health and wellness support, and active older adults can spend time with others and stay strong and healthy into their later years. This just scratches the surface of what the Y does to support our community. From child care to mental health care, and support for foster families, the Y has the tools to help the people of Kent thrive together.
The new Kent Y joins two other south end locations in Auburn and the Matt Griffin Y in SeaTac as part of the Greater Seattle YMCA association—soon to be composed of 14 branches in all. YMCA members enjoy unlimited access to all locations across Washington State and the unique features available at each community branch.
We cannot wait to see you on September 14. Bring the whole family and get ready to experience all that the Y has to offer—right here in Kent.
Join the new Kent Y before September 14 to also receive Charter Member gifts, while supplies last, and early access to the building. Join here: https://www.seattleymca.org/kent-ymca
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to circumstances beyond our control, the pool and Aquatic Center will NOT be open on Grand Opening weekend, as originally planned. Please watch the Kent YMCA Facebook page for updates, as we will post as soon as more information is publicly available. The safety of our members and our staff is our utmost concern.