Healthy Living Room Tip: Use What You Have
Last updated: July 6, 2020, at 2:31 p.m. PT
Originally published: March 30, 2020, at 1:02 p.m. PT
When you do your favorite workout at the Y, you usually have all the equipment you need in our fitness centers. But now that you’re working out in your #healthylivingroom, what do you do if you have no equipment? You use what you have!
Dumbbells: Use canned food or filled up water bottles.
Barbells: Use a broom handle. Add weight by filling up backpacks or bags with books and looping them on the broom. Not only does it add extra weight, but it provides a balance challenge when the bags swing.
Resistance bands: Use a towel – you’d be surprised how challenging it is to try and pull the towel ‘apart’!
Speaking of towels, you can use a towel as a sliding disc on a hard floor. Here’s an exercise to try:
Exercise: Sliding Lunge
- Place your right foot flat on the floor in front of you.
- Place your left foot on a towel slightly behind you.
- Lower to the floor into a lunge by sliding your left foot backwards, ending with both knees bent to 90 degrees.
- Pause for a second, then pull your left foot back in as you stand up.
- Repeat on both sides for 10-12 repetitions for a great lower body burn.
Exercising with soup cans and towels might feel silly at first, but that's okay! Laughing is part of a healthy lifestyle too. Let us know if you find a creative way to exercise on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Be creative, use what you have, but when in doubt – your bodyweight may be all the resistance you need.