Look out for extended holiday hours in 2020
Last updated: December 21, 2020, at 11:28 a.m. PT
Originally published: December 12, 2019, at 9:47 a.m. PT
As the Y we are proud to be the gathering place where all people come together in the name of health, wellness, and togetherness.
In the past, our members and families have told us that they want to be together at the Y enjoying community on holidays. We are also sensitive to the fact that holidays can be difficult for some in our community and being connected with others, especially on holidays, is important.
This year, we discussed our holiday operating hours with staff. We listened to their feedback to understand the impact of expanding our hours would have on their ability to spend time with their families. Fortunately, we heard from many of our part-time and full-time staff that they are willing and eager to work the extra hours made available by being open more days during the year.
Based on that feedback, we are happy to announce that we are extending our branch operating hours on the following nationally recognized holidays:
- Wednesday, January 1, 2020 (New Year’s Day): 7:00 am- 6:00 pm
- Monday, January 20, 2020 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day): Regular hours
- Monday, February 17, 2020 (Presidents' Day): Regular hours
- Sunday April 12, 2020 (Easter Day): Regular hours
- Monday, May 25, 2020 (Memorial Day): 7:00 am-12:00 pm
- Saturday, July 4, 2020 (Independence Day): 7:00 am-12:00 pm
- Monday, September 7, 2020 (Labor Day): 7:00 am-12:00 pm
- Wednesday, November 11, 2020 (Veterans Day): Regular hours
- Thursday, November 26, 2020 (Thanksgiving Day): 7:00 am-11:00 am
- Thursday, December 24, 2020 (Christmas Eve): 7:00 am-11:00 am
- Friday, December 25. 2020 (Christmas Day): Closed
- Thursday, December 31, 2020 (New Year's Eve): 7:00 am-11:00 am
On these nationally recognized holidays, branches may offer special programming in celebration of the holiday and unique schedules for things like Group Exercise Classes or Kids Zone. Before you visit, take a moment to check your branch's schedule:
- Auburn Valley YMCA
- Bellevue Family YMCA
- Coal Creek Family YMCA
- Dale Turner Family YMCA
- Downtown Seattle YMCA
- Kent YMCA
- Matt Griffin YMCA
- Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA
- Northshore YMCA
- Sammamish Community YMCA
- Snoqualmie Valley YMCA
- University Family YMCA
- West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA
We are working to be a place welcoming to people of all backgrounds and cultures, regardless of what holidays they celebrate, or how they chose to celebrate them. Being a welcoming place in our community starts with our employees, who represent different ethnicities, religions, cultural backgrounds, customs and interests, and countries of birth.
For our employees, our supervisors are committed to working with staff to accommodate time off requests, and they predict they will be able to grant most—if not all— requests from full-time and part-time staff who would prefer to not work on nationally recognized holidays. To ensure our employees can celebrate holidays of personal significance to them and their families, we have adopted a personal holiday policy granting each full-time employee 8 personal holidays annually.
Our holiday hours are a way to make sure we are there for our members and families, especially those who need us most.
We look forward to enjoying the holidays with you and your family at the Y!