Recipe: Vegan Mac & Cheese
Last updated: December 3, 2020, at 2:56 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 3, 2020, at 2:54 p.m. PT
This vegan and whole grain version has all the gooey comfort food qualities you have come to expect from mac and cheese.
- 8 oz whole-grain macaroni elbows
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- ½ medium golden potato, peeled and grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup (+) water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Cook/drain pasta according to package directions – adding broccoli with 2-3 minutes left.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent – about 5 minutes. Add potato, carrot, garlic and mustard powder, salt, and cook for one minute more.
- Add cashews and 1 cup of water. Bring to boil, and reduce heat to simmer, uncovered. Stir frequently and cook until potatoes are tender – about 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer mixture to a heat-safe blender. Add nutritional yeast and vinegar and blend until completely smooth – about 1-2 minutes. Use caution when opening as pressure builds.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour sauce over pasta and broccoli, gently reheating as needed.
Scrape the sides down in your blender as needed. If the mixture is too thick, thin with water – 1 tablespoon at a time.