Recipe: Turkey Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
Last updated: November 22, 2021, at 11:02 a.m. PT
Originally published: November 22, 2021, at 10:54 a.m. PT
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced golden potatoes
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and discarded, leaves chopped
- ½ cup milk of choice (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat and saute onion, celery, and carrots until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until golden.
- Add red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, pepper, stock, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in kale and milk (if using) until kale has wilted.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA