Recipe: Sushi Maki Three Ways (Salmon Crunch Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, and Tofu Veggie Roll)
Last updated: June 28, 2022, at 11:21 a.m. PT
Originally published: June 28, 2022, at 9:47 a.m. PT
- 5 nori sheets
- 1 batch sushi rice, cooled to room temperature (Sushi Rice recipe)
- 1 English cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- Featured filling of choice*
- Black sesame seeds
- Lay one sheet of nori on a sushi mat (or parchment paper), smooth side down, with the widest side facing you.
- Dip your fingers in water and press about 3/4 cups the sushi rice evenly over the nori, leaving a 1” border at the top, uncovered.
- Gently press the rice into an even layer, dipping your fingers in water as needed to prevent the rice from sticking to you.
- Starting with the long edge, closest to you, lay strips of cucumber along the edge first, with avocado above the cucumber (side by side towards the top - not layered on top of each other) and then the featured filling, above the avocado.
- Carefully, lift the edge of the sushi mat closest to you to begin to roll the sushi, gently pressing as you roll to ensure it is rolled tight enough without the fillings spilling out.
- Once you have rolled to the edge of the rice, lightly wet the edge of the uncovered nori with water and finish rolling to seal the sushi. Slice into eight pieces.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients
YIELDS: 5 rolls of your choice
*FEATURED FILLING OPTIONS
- Salmon Crunch Roll: 10 ounces sushi-grade salmon cut into thin strips. Sprinkle toasted panko breadcrumbs on top after slicing.
- Spicy Tuna Roll: Mince 8 ounces of sushi-grade tuna and mix with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1 minced green onion, 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce. Consider flipping your nori onto saran wrap lined sushi mat after spreading with sushi rice to make an inside out roll.
- Tofu Veggie Roll: Use 8 ounces, thinly sliced tofu, and a thin row of shredded carrots.