Recipe: Sushi Rice
Last updated: July 25, 2022, at 4:58 p.m. PT
Originally published: June 28, 2022, at 11:20 a.m. PT
- 2 cups Japanese short-grained rice
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 4” piece of kombu (optional)
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons honey (or sugar)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- Combine the rice and water in a medium pot and add kombu.
- Bring to a boil and immediately cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to low and simmer for 16-18 minutes or until all water has absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove rice from heat and let stand, covered to steam for an additional 10 minutes.
- While rice is steaming, prepare the seasoning by combining the vinegar, honey and salt in a small saucepan, stirring until honey and salt dissolve completely and set aside.
- Remove and discard the kombu from the cooked rice.
- Transfer hot rice to a large bowl and drizzle the seasoned vinegar over the top.
- Gently toss to evenly combine the seasoning with the rice.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to come to room temperature (1-2 hours) before preparing sushi rolls.
- If not using rice immediately after cooling, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
TIP: enjoy with Sushi Maki Three Ways (Salmon Crunch Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, and Tofu Veggie Roll)